Monday, February 9, 2015

'Reply to Darcy', by Makenzie (+ a tool for Austen fans or regency writers or both)


I'm on a bit of a Pride and Prejudice tangent on this blog at the moment, because I got to spend a whole term studying it last year (I was allowed to sit and read P&P in school hours.  HOW COOL IS THAT?).  Zerefore, I've got another P&P-inspired piece for your enjoyment. Firstly, however, I'd like to share a tool I found VERY useful for writing in regency/Jane Austen's style. It's  called 'Write Like Austen' and you can find it here

The piece I wrote is a letter from Elizabeth to Darcy after she has read the letter he gave her in response to her her very angry marriage refusal (in chapter 34).  Hope you enjoy it. :)  And if anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them!  


Huntsford Parsonage, Friday 2 April, 11am


Dear Sir,               
Upon the perusal of your letter I have come to understand how mistaken were my opinions in regard to your character; and it is with no small amount of distress that I look back upon my previous words towards you.  Your forbearance under the circumstances could not be described as anything less than noble.
You were right in regard to my sister, Jane.  Her feelings are strong, but her character is such as does not make them apparent.  A mistake in judgment as to the extent of her regard for Bingley is altogether understandable.  And though it brings me pain to own it, I must allow that your concerns in regard to the propriety of some members of my family are not entirely ill founded.
As for Wickham, there can be no doubts as to the truth of your claims.  Upon reflection of his actions I see they all confirm your statements.  His conduct, past and present, has been despicable to say the least. In regard to Wickham I have been entirely misled, by nothing less than my own vanity.  I have looked no farther than what I could see in looks and manner, and therefore have mistaken his character and your own.  My behavior has been, to say the least, absurd; and I am entirely ashamed of my actions hitherto. Believe me when I say that I now comprehend the honor of being the object of regard to such a worthy gentleman as yourself.  I am indeed sorry for the ill manner in which I treated you.  Please accept my sincerest apologies, and comprehend that my previous opinion of you is only a subject of mortification to myself.   
With all sincerity,
Elizabeth Bennet

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Bravo! Lovely piece, Mackenzie!